History

Chandler’s Wharf, also known as the Calder-Thorpe Warehouse, was built in 1884.  This vernacular style warehouse was built for Phila Lazarus Calder (1806-1888), who inherited the property from her father, Aaron Lazarus (1771-1841).  The property remained in the Lazarus family until its purchase in 1910 by W. B. Thorpe & Company, dealers in coal, wood, and builder’s supplies, which used it and the adjacent Rankin & Martin warehouse until 1943.

In 1978, the two warehouses were rehabilitated into the eclectic collection of shops, galleries, and offices that it is today.

Visit Us At: